Sunday, May 18, 2008

Barnes, WI


Last year in early July I went to Barnes, Wisconsin with Marilyn and Rhonda. It' so hard to explain the experience I had there. So here's a few little memories.

1.) The Parade- Meeting Chris and Debbie's friends at the parade. Finding out just how small of a town Barnes is. Feeling very much at home. Awed by the strange ritual of spraying the parade people with water guns.

2.) Fireworks- That same night Marilyn, Chris, and I watched the fireworks by the church. It was probably the best fireworks show I've been to, and that's saying a lot for a small town.

3.) Hanging out at the pier reading the book Wisconsin. Sometimes I'd swim out to the "island" and just relax there. I got so sun burned but it was so perfect. And the funny thing about the book Wisconsin is there was a character called "Big Al" and Barnes there's a guy named big Al. Only the character Big Al is mean and an alcoholic...I don't think town Big Al is mean...or an alcoholic.

4.) Hanging out at the beautiful house for an evening by myself and the three dogs. I just watched TV and relaxed on the couch.

5.) Eating venison for the first time...ew.

6.) Going to Hayward...this wasn't that great of a day because I had a terrible stomach ache. But I still enjoyed it.

7.) Fish fry...I don't really like fish but it was alright.

8.) Bony Lake- Riding around on the jet ski....watching sunsets from the boat...Swimming...etc. It was wonderful.

9.) My favorite memory, the last night the stars were spectacular. It was such a clear night. Beautiful and refreshing. Marilyn and I just sat on the porch talking about how that was how life was meant to be. Not pollution or huge skyscrapers...simple life.

I don't think I'll be able to make it back this summer...and I must admit, that really depresses me. But I know I'll make it back there soon. In fact, I will be only 3 hours away when I move to Bloomington, MN for Honor Academy.

Maybe there'll be some way to get there....

No comments:

Post a Comment