Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Holiday Memories


Wed. Before Thanksgiving

1.) (Before 2004) We would go to church. Sometimes in the youth group days we would deliver baskets for families in need. Actually I think this happened after 2004 too. But yeah, after church I would stay up super late and listen to the fish, playing Barbies or just hanging out in my old room. I kind of miss my old room even though my new one is bigger.

2.) 2006- The year of all years. My dad and I wanted to go to the movies. He made me go see Deja Vu and I really didn't want to see it because, it just wasn't my kind of movie...action. blah. But I LOVED it. After I saw it I went to Tae's house for bible study. I was the first one there. I walked in, didn't even say h to Cor just dropped my coat and said in a far off voice, "Good movie" haha. Good times. I saw it 6 times after that.

3.) 2007- Dad and I went to Costco. We ate at Zel's and it snowed for the first time. It was just a good night. It felt special and fun. It was also my year Deja Vu anniversary and I tried to watch it again but at the point I was somewhat sick of it and it's just not the same on a smaller Toshiba tv when you've seen it 6 times in theaters.

Thanksgiving

1.) A typical Thanksgiving (before 2004) would be like this: I would wake up at like 8, all excited to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving parade. I would watch it on and off. I would do cartwheels, play house, and help my mom with random things in the kitchen. After the parade we'd watch some sort of Holiday special or something like that. Around 3 we would eat dinner and right after that I would do the dishes. Then we'd all gather in the living room and sleep or watch movies.

2.) (After 2004) We would go to Aunt Sue's house or our cousin Amy's and Grandma would always be sitting in the chair at the kitchen table by the water bottle thing. Uncle Rick, Jake, and whatever guys that were there would be in the living room watching football or whatever. I usually hung out with Bianca, my 2nd cousin and whatever other kids were there because no one in my family is really in my age group. We ate buffet style. No cheesy "give thanks" speeches or anything like that. After that we'd stay for few more hours and then we'd get going.

3.) 2007- One of my favorite years ever. Shannah and I cooked Thanksgiving dinner. Haha. Everythings more fun with Shannah. =) Well, sometimes. She made the turkey and we called my mom ALOT, with questions. It was great. My dad just hung out in the living room while we cooked and stuff. I think I just made the green bean casserole and the sweet potato casserole. Shannah did everything else and it was SO good. It was my favorite Thanksgiving in a long time because it was more familyish. After dinner we all collapsed in the living room and rested.

Christmas

1.) The year I got underwear when I was 5! I was ecstatic. Seriously. I was weird kid.

2.) One time when we went to Aunt Sue's for Christmas and my cousin Carrie said she would keep my presents if I opened them early. I was really freaked out about that because I knew I was going to get the newest Barbie that I wanted. haha. I totally thought she was serious.

3.) The time we went to Aunt Julies and I got Aladdin pajamas. I don't remember exactly why but that was just a very memorable Christmas.

4.) When I figured out where my Dad hid the presents- in the crawlspace in the garage. I think I was like 10 then. I got a ladder and climbed up there. I needed to see. Bahaha. I was so mischeavious.

5.) Going to Christmas Light festivals in Michigan city.

6.) The first Christmas Eve service at VCC in 1998. It was very special. It was in the old church building. It was all candle lit and pretty.

7.) My mom's jam cookies.

8.) One word- STOLLEN! (I don't know if I spelled that right.)

9.) All the special Christmas ornaments. Unwrapping them from the newspaper every year was like unwrapping presents. Every ornament was special and beautiful and memorable. The apple disco ball, the snowman that played a song, the apples (haha I totally ate one when I was two), and my first Christmas ornament. My stocking. I miss my stocking. It was my favorite because it wasn't like a normal stocking. I'm pretty sure it had ducks on it. I can hardly remember because I havent seen it awhile.

10.) Watching Three Days with mom for the first time on ABC family. I still have the recording of it from the very first night we saw it. I love that movie.

11.) Watching the Santa Claus. That was my favorite movie. Always. (and forever. haha. I love having inside jokes with myself. I'm not normal. haha.)

12.) The year of the karaoke machine. Haha. Those were good times. Word up!

More Recently

13.) 2005- I listened to WLIT ALL THE TIME! And I flipped out everytime "All I Want For Christmas Is You" came on. No matter what I was doing I would dance around my house like a mad woman and sing on top of my lungs. That year I was in Florida and it came on. Mom and Jeff were sleeping on the couch and I was dancing in the living room when I saw Jeff wake up...haha.

2005 was also the year that Vivvian and I listened to the feed the world song. We would flip out on the bridge together.

14.) 2006- wasn't as fun as 2005 but I made the most out of it. Christmas Eve of that year was the most awkward and fun Christmas Eve. I decided to randomly retile the upstairs bathroom. Shannah was going crazy because she didn't know what I was doing. I was just going at it until like 6 in the morning. I listened to Delta Goodrem alot. "All Out of Love" was my favorite. I would always make fun of the guy who sang all constipated sounding "What are you thinking offffffff????" haha It cracked me up. After I was done I collapsed in my bed watching "A Christmas Story" and woke up around noon the next day.

15.) 2007- Christmas Cookies w/ the Engels, Movies, Vivvian. It wasn't my favorite Christmas but it wasn't the worst either.

I'm looking forward to making new holiday memories. I'm going to think positively and try to remember the real reason for the season- JESUS. Because without him, none of what I just wrote matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment